Your Carson Garage Door Service Provider for Homes and Businesses
Best Practices for Garage Door Spring Repair in Carson
As a homeowner, you know that life is full of unforeseen occurrences, often appearing when you least expect them. One such inconvenience is having your car stuck in the garage, particularly after a recent garage door repair. Enter Fred & Sons Garage Doors, dedicated to upholding industry best practices and providing outstanding advice to homeowners every time we work in a garage. These practices not only save you time and money but also emphasize our commitment to customer satisfaction.
Preferred Method #1 - Swap Out Both Springs
Garage doors usually contain a pair of springs that are fitted together. If one spring gives out, the other spring is likely close to the end of its service life. To circumvent potential problems, hazards, and damage to the garage door opener, Fred & Sons Garage Doors typically advises updating both springs. Just as you would take care of high-value possessions like cars by replacing both tires when one is damaged, it's vital to preserve garage doors by changing both garage door springs.
Preferred Method #2 - Identifying Correct Springs
Garage doors, with their diverse weights and sizes, demand the use of suitable springs for correct door balancing. If the wrong spring is installed, it can adversely affect the garage door system and force the opener to work harder. This may result in premature opener failure and additional repair visits. DIY spring replacement can be hazardous for the same reason. Our Carson, CA technicians are committed to fitting the right springs according to the door's weight and conducting a balance test to verify their work.
Preferred Method #3 - Carrying Out a Safety Assessment
Fred & Sons Garage Doors includes a no-cost safety inspection for every spring repair, checking that all hardware and moving parts on your door operate correctly and comply with safety regulations. It's possible that worn mechanical parts on your door, which were likely installed with the springs, are now unsafe. A dysfunctional spring could signal a larger issue with your door. That's why we prioritize providing a free safety inspection and maintaining a safe environment for our clients as a best practice.
With an extensive selection of springs for different garage door types in stock, we advise enlisting a professional technician to accurately measure and provide a precise cost estimate. Reach out to Fred & Sons Garage Doors now to get an expert technician's estimate for your garage door spring repair!
Selecting the Best Garage Door Opener: Which One Should You Choose?
Belt Driven Openers
Hailed as the top option in the garage door industry, belt-driven openers are both reliable and virtually silent. They function on a steel-reinforced belt and are slightly more costly than chain and screw-driven openers. For those in Carson with garages connected to their homes or near bedrooms, a belt-driven opener guarantees that you won't be bothered by garage door noise. Many customers who opt for belt-driven openers are highly satisfied and can't imagine going back to the noise of a chain opener.
Screw Driven Openers
Operating on a threaded steel rod instead of a chain or rubber belt, screw-driven openers work best in locations with consistent weather and temperatures throughout the year. However, for residents in Carson with variable weather patterns, a screw-driven opener may not be the most suitable option. These openers are the slowest, loudest, and most affordable of all three types. If you prioritize a quiet and fast opener, a screw-driven opener may not be the right choice for you.
Jackshaft openers are wall-mounted units installed next to the garage door and connected to the torsion spring above it. They're an ideal option if your garage has high ceilings or if you simply want to free up ceiling space. Jackshaft openers come at a slightly higher cost than ceiling-mounted openers.
Chain Driven Openers
Chain powered openers are widely used and highly dependable. These openers function by moving the garage door on its track using a metal chain. Although chain drives are somewhat more cost-effective than belt drives, they are popular among Fred & Sons Garage Doors customers. However, the downside of chain drive openers is their noise, which may be an issue if your garage is situated below or near the main living spaces in your home. We typically advise against these openers since the small savings do not justify the drawbacks. Additionally, LiftMasterÂ® does not provide a lifetime warranty for the chain like it does for the belt on belt drives, and the motor is much louder.
Deciding on Fred & Sons Garage Doors: 10 Essential Reasons Why
- Proven Experience: With a strong background marked by years of achievement and a multitude of satisfied clients, our leading experts in the industry will take care of your garage door requirements in the most effective way.
- Wide Selection of Products and Services: Fred & Sons Garage Doors offers a comprehensive range of products and services to cater to your unique needs. Whether it's custom doors or repair and installation services, we have the perfect solution for any door or product you desire.
- Knowledgeable Staff: Our team members possess both expertise and professionalism. They value outstanding customer service and work towards making your experience with them positive. They're ready to answer any questions you have about doors and gates and provide tips on maintaining your overhead door.
- Top-Quality Materials: Our company utilizes only the finest materials, ensuring your door is both durable and visually appealing. With a garage door company in Carson, you can be confident that you're investing in a valuable, long-lasting product.
- Safety: Our company ensures that your garage door is installed accurately and securely. This means you can have confidence that the installation and maintenance of your overhead door meet the highest standards, providing a safe environment for you and your family.
- Competitive Pricing Solutions: Fred & Sons Garage Doors has a variety of cost-effective approaches to address your garage door concerns. Seek a solution that works within your budget, encompassing installation, repairs, and custom design services.
- Fast Response: Repairing or installing doors and gates demands prompt attention. A dependable Carson enterprise will ensure your needs are catered to quickly and competently.
- Quality Assurance: We offer quality assurance for our services and products, guaranteeing that any doors and gates repairs or installations are completed to the highest standards. This ensures the protection of your investment, giving you peace of mind.
- Warranty: We offer warranty protection for your investment, covering any malfunctions or accidental damages to your overhead door. This coverage helps to mitigate stress and financial concerns that may arise from a defective door.
- Customer Satisfaction is Our Goal: At Fred & Sons Garage Doors, our goal is to ensure your complete satisfaction with our garage doors and other offerings. We provide cost-effective solutions tailored to your specific needs, ensuring that you receive the best possible value for your investment.
The Most Prevalent Overhead Door Repair Problems We Deal With
Broken Springs: Garage door springs can break easily due to the tension they're under. If your garage door isn't working correctly, check the condition of the springs.
Worn-out rollers: The garage door rollers can become worn out over time, leading to a noisy or stuck door. Regular inspection and replacement can keep your door functioning correctly.
Damaged Panels: Over time, the panels on your garage door may become damaged due to weather or normal wear and tear. They can also be hit by a vehicle or heavy object.
Misaligned tracks: Troubleshooting misaligned tracks is essential when your garage door is malfunctioning. Check the tracks to ensure that they're in the proper position.
Faulty Opener Issues: A faulty opener can cause your garage door to malfunction. If you suspect an issue with the opener, it's best to call a professional for help.
Safety Sensor: One of the most frequent problems that garage doors encounter is a misaligned safety sensor. This issue can occur when an object or a child accidentally hits the sensor, preventing the door from closing correctly. To prevent this problem, it's crucial to keep an eye on the sensor.
The Overhead Door Repair Issues That Occur Most FrequentlyFrames: Garage door frame damage or bending can cause instability in the entire structure, which can be a significant safety issue. It's necessary to repair or replace any damaged frames without delay.
Rusting: Your gate may experience rusting due to moisture or humidity, a problem that frequently arises. If you live in a humid area, it's critical to keep an eye out for any signs of rust.
Fading: The color of your gate can fade over time due to weather conditions or prolonged exposure to the sun. Repainting it every few years can help your garage door look new.
Hinges: When the hinges on your gate are misaligned or damaged, it can cause problems with opening and closing. Fortunately, a professional can typically remedy this issue with ease.
Sagging: The weight of wooden doors frequently causes sagging. To prevent this, use more substantial hardware and ensure the posts are secured firmly.
Installation: Poor installation can have severe consequences, particularly with gates that could be hazardous and unstable. It is crucial to fix these issues as soon as possible.
Rotting: Without proper treatment or sealing, wooden gates can rot over time, causing them to weaken and collapse eventually.
Warping: Overhead doors may warp due to extreme weather conditions. Exposure to hot or cold temperatures can cause the door to become misshapen.
Pests: In addition to other potential problems, wooden doors are also susceptible to pests like termites and carpenter bees. Be vigilant about inspecting your wooden door for signs of infestation.
Rollers: Properly functioning rollers are crucial for the smooth operation of your overhead door. Damaged or worn out rollers can make opening and closing the door difficult. Fortunately, replacing rollers is typically a straightforward repair.
Is Your Carson Garage Door No Longer Functioning? Why Replacement May Be the Answer
Don't just think about resale value when considering replacing your garage doors. There are plenty of other reasons for Carson residents to consider as well. Here are some of them:
Augment Your Home's Curb Appeal
Consider how much space your garage doors occupy on your home's exterior. Upgrading them in Carson can have a considerable impact on your home's curb appeal at a modest cost.
Decrease Garage Door Noise
Homeowners with garages may face issues with the noise from opening and closing garage doors, especially if their room is near or above the garage. If you're looking for a solution, Fred & Sons Garage Doors offers ultra-quiet nylon hinges that ensure a smooth and noise-free operation.
Safety & Security First
The majority of home burglaries in Carson occur through overhead doors. Do you feel secure with your current garage door's ability to deter intruders? If your door is outdated, it may lack modern safety features such as automatic reversal.
Saving Energy at Home
Overlooked by many, the impact of the garage door on a home's energy costs is often ignored. However, upgrading to insulated garage doors can lead to significant energy savings and lower bills for Carson, CA residents.
Most Common Questions from Our Carson, CA Customers Addressed
Should I seek the services of a professional for the installation of my new garage door?
At Fred & Sons Garage Doors, we believe that the installation of a garage door is not a do-it-yourself job. A garage door is the largest moving object in your home and because of the large number of small parts, installation of a garage door is highly technical. Connecting the springs can be particularly dangerous and proper installation is critical to the performance of your door. Professional garage door dealer/installers can typically install a door in a few hours and are careful to make sure safety requirements are met. Installations by most homeowners typically span several days and cause much frustration. In addition, incorrect installation can void certain warranties, so we recommend a professional handle the job for you. One of the other services a professional garage doors dealer/installer can provide is the disposal of your old door, if you are replacing a door.
Would an insulated garage door be beneficial even if your garage is not insulated?
Insulated garage doors can minimize the transfer of heat or cold air into your garage through the large garage door opening, which is important for several reasons:
- Comfort is a top priority for a garage used as a workshop.
- Your living area can be affected if your garage is attached to your home.
- Using insulated doors can ensure a stable temperature in the room above when the garage is situated below another room.
- With a more appealing interior and reduced noise, insulated doors are superior to non-insulated doors.
Which is better for a garage door - steel or wood?
Steel doors often require less maintenance compared to wooden doors. Fred & Sons Garage Doors's steel doors come with a pre-painted, baked-on coating. It's recommended to clean the exterior of the door at least once a year using warm water and a common household detergent. Our wood doors come unfinished and require priming and painting or staining on all six sides upon delivery. We suggest visually inspecting the finish of wooden doors once a year to determine if another finish application is necessary.
Is it permissible to replace my one-piece garage door with a sectional garage door?
Your local garage door dealer/installer can install a sectional door by adding appropriate track and springs. Modifications may be necessary based on your garage's construction, so have your Carson, CA dealer assess the job beforehand.
Will painting my new garage door affect its performance?
Our steel doors come with a pre-painted baked-on coating that can be repainted, and we accept many types of exterior latex paints. However, oil-based paints should be avoided.